Sunday, July 6, 2008

Water, water everywhere except on tap

The Vancouver Sun this weekend ran a feature suggesting that Lower Mainland municipalities want people to switch from gulping bottled water to placing their cups, glasses, jugs and bottles directly under a tap. The story said the region's water is among the best in the world, and there is no need to choke our landfills with discarded plastic bottles.

I thoroughly agree. One of the most wonderful things I noticed about Vancouver when I came here from New York in the 1970s was the refreshing taste of its water. It still tastes good, and I think I'm not the only one in the area who enjoys drinking tap water here, knowing it is safe and delicious. I also feel good about not adding to the environmental problem of discarded plastic.

Why, then, when I visited the Granville Island Market last week, did I discover that at least one vendor in the food court does not supply tap water to its customers and insists that if they want water, they buy the bottled kind. In Steveston, another popular tourist destination, there are take-out stands and restaurants that supply only bottled water. You find this kind of thing happening in Mexico, but there it's for the safety of tourists. Here, in southwestern British Columbia, are we trying give visitors that same message, that our water isn't safe to drink? Or would we rather that they get a healthful impression Vancouver, like I got 30 years ago?

It's time Lower Mainland municipalities require that food outlets dispense tap water to all customers who ask. Otherwise, I'll take my thirst elsewhere, and so might the tourists.

1 comment:

mrcuster said...

Depends on where you live in Canada.In Cambridge Ontario the water supply comes from the Grand River.Kitchener Waterloo is only 8 miles upstream.Also 100 yds. from the Cambridge waterplant there is a chemical plant.I think I'll stick to the bottled water.